I LOVE Chess Pie. I especially love the chocolate chess pie at Homemade Ice Cream & Pie Kitchen. Of course, my favorite flavor profile on earth is the mixture of rich bittersweet chocolate with a sweet, high-wheat bourbon, especially Maker's Mark. The dark chocolate notes paired with the vanilla and caramels of the Maker's to create a decadent treat. It just made sense to bake a pie that combined these two! I adapted from this great recipe.
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) cold butter
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- Pinch Kosher Salt
- 2/3 cup cold whole milk
- Stir together the butter, flour, and salt in a mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour until the butter is the size of peas.
- Add milk, one splash at a time to the flour and stir. Continue adding the milk until the mixture forms a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and flatten into a disk shape.
- Chill dough about 15 minutes.
- Roll dough, place in a pie place and trim and crimp the edges.
- Chill dough while you make the filling.
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 2 ounces Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons Maker's Mark Bourbon Whisky
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Place butter and chocolate in a small glass bowl or measuring cup and microwave for 45-60 seconds. Stir and let sit to finish melting the chocolate and then to let it cool a bit.
- Place sugar, eggs, flour, bourbon, salt and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk well to combine.
- Add chocolate mixture to the sugar mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Pour filling into pie crust and bake in preheated oven until edges are browned and filling is puffed and set (but still wiggly in the center), about 30 minutes.
- Let cool and serve alone, with whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream.