The Charity League of Paducah is a vital, active and integral part of our community. It was organized in March 1932 with 16 members for the purpose of starting a lending library. The Charity League now has 48 active members and more than 280 associate members.
|The ladies of The League presenting a $1,500 Donation to the Community Kitchen.|
The volunteer organization’s mission is to raise funds for Easter Seals West Kentucky and assist other local non-profits for the health, welfare and general care of children, women and others in need. Its foremost purpose is in financially assisting ESWK and other charities, while secondarily creating a legacy of friendship and community between members and those we serve.
Countless volunteer hours are poured into annual projects such as Snowball, Follies, Bargain Fair, Golf and Giving Classic, “Get Set to Serve” Tennis Classic, and Thyme to Entertain cookbook sales. Through the success of these events The Charity League has been able to donate in excess of $327,000 over the past six years to ESWK, directly impacting those benefiting from its services. Monies raised from such events have also enabled the League to provide funds to additional community charities that support the children of our area including; the Noble Park All-Inclusive Playground ($25,000), Child Watch Children’s Advocacy Center, Inc. ($12,000), Lourdes Hospital Nursing Scholarship ($6,000), City of Paducah Special Camp Donation ($4,000), Star Fish Orphan Ministry ($2,600), and Community Ministries ($1,500).
The Charity League is located at 1921 Broadway in a home generously donated by League member Mrs. Gus T. Smith. This home holds precious memories of years past, including popular weekly luncheons open to the public. According to League records, this home became one of Paducah’s most popular entertainment places. Current League members work diligently to preserve this special home and create memories for future League members.
~ Sarah Stewart Holland