Today we're counting down our favorite cupcakes in the Commonwealth. If you have a different suggestion, we're happy to go out and field-test some more. You know, solely in the name of research.
5. Caramanda's Bake Shoppe, Lexington. Caramanda's brought the idea of trendy cupcakes to the LEX a few years ago, with a kiosk in the Fayette Mall and a drive-through window at their Boston Road location. If you love fluffy icing and lots of flavor varieties, this is the spot for you!
4. Treehouse Cafe & Bakery, Hazard. Creative and delicious cupcakes!
3. Dave's Bakery, Flatwoods. One of our readers wrote in to say that we'd overlooked Dave's on our Donut List. It's hard to even say what's the best thing on the menu at Dave's, because it's all really good. This old-school bakery has been popular in Greenup County for as long as anybody can remember.
2. Upside-down dipped cupcake, Homemade Ice Cream & Pie Kitchen, Louisville. This cupcake is unlike anything else on the list. A hot cupcake is dipped, bottom-side-up, into icing. The result is a widely-distributed, seemingly baked-on effect. Simply delicious.
1. Magee's Bakery, Lexington. Magee's hasn't changed their icing recipe since, well, ever. There's no need to. This is old-timey bakery buttercream on a smaller, more traditional cupcake. It's also, basically, perfect.
Did we get it right? Who makes your favorite Kentucky cupcake?
In case you missed it:
- The Five Best Barbecue Joints in Kentucky
- The Five Best Doughnuts in Kentucky
- The Five Best Burgers in Kentucky