On December 5, 1933, the 21st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was ratified, marking the end of Prohibition. Led at its most fanatic fringes by temperance activists Garrard County, KY, native Carry Nation, the prohibition of sales and manufacturing of alcoholic beverages was intended to increase the nation's public health and morals. Of course, Prohibition merely drove alcohol production and procurement underground, often resulting in dangerous (not to mention unpalatable) concoctions. Here in Kentucky, we also suffered a major economic setback, as the bourbon industry was shuttered for a decade. (Read more about Kentucky and Prohibition here.)
Here in Louisville, we're always looking for a fun party, especially one that celebrates our native spirit. Here are some fun Repeal Day happenings in the Derby City this weekend:
- Louisville SWIG Food and Drink Tasting Affair tonight, 12/4 at the Seelbach: Join Louisville Magazine for the debut of their December issue, live music from Billy Goat Strut Revue, and tastes of food and drink from over 50 vendors. A portion of ticket sales benefits Court Appointed Special Advocates of the River Region.
- Repeal Day Open House tonight, 12/4 5-9 p.m. at the Evan Williams Bourbon Experience: Tastings, small bites, door prizes, and a 1920s costume contest!
- Spirits of the Bluegrass: Prohibition in Kentucky exhibition at The Frazier Museum: open now!
- Repeal Day at The Silver Dollar: 5p.m. -close Saturday 12/5: Special cocktails with Old Forester, 1930s costume contest, photo booth, and more!
- Repeal Day at Bourbons Bistro: Saturday 12/5 at 6 p.m.25 cent cocktails and apps; Prohibition-era movies; costume contest.
- Proof on Main Repeal Day: Saturday 12/5 7 p.m-11p.m.. Cocktail specials, music, "Costumes are encouraged; mustaches are appreciated." In conjunction with 8UP Elevated Drinkery & Kitchen, Meta, Down One Bourbon Bar and Doc Crow's Southern Smokehouse and Raw Bar's Repeal Day Revel: a downtown exploration of restaurants and bars that celebrate Repeal Day with passport stamps at each location.
Happy Repeal Day, y'all! Here's to Kentucky's finest spirits!
You may also enjoy:
- The HerKentucky Guide to Speakeasy Louisville: The Hot Brown
- The HerKentucky Guide to Speakeasy Louisville: The Belle of Louisville
- The HerKentucky Guide to Speakeasy Louisville: The Evan Williams Experience
- The HerKentucky Guide to Speakeasy Louisville: The Seelbach
- A Conversation with Irrepressible Author Emily Bingham
- Happy Repeal Day!