Happy Fourth, y'all! Independence Day is a great holiday. There's cookouts, and fireworks, and cookouts and fireworks...
But this year, why not do a little more? Celebrate the nation while doing something fun and memorable! Here are some great ways to celebrate the holiday around the Commonwealth.
- Start the day off right with a run! Owensboro's Independence Bank is holding a Freedom Day 5K on July 4th. You'll get your exercise in for the morning and feel a little better about splurging on some good holiday food the rest of the day!
- Hot Chicken Festival! Nashville's Hot Chicken Festival is always fun! You can sample the Music City's very own fast food delicacy, take in some great local beer, and meet some really cool new friends.
- The Flea off Market With great vendors and even better food trucks, Louisville's Flea off Market in Nulu is a fun way to see everybody and find some unique treasures.
- Peaches from The Peach Truck! Catch The Peach Truck, Nashville's mobile source for the most amazing fresh peaches, is bringing its Freestone Tour to Kentucky and Ohio over the next few days. At noon on the 4th, they'll be at Brownsboro Hardware. On Monday, they'll be in Somerset and Danville. Check their website for the full schedule, then take a look at Garden & Gun's recipe for Bourbon Brown Butter Peach Ice Cream.
- Take in a Reds Game! Baseball is America's pastime, after all. Why not catch a game in the Cincinnati Reds' series against the Brewers? Sign up here for a free Mustache Appreciation Glass with your ticket purchase.
- Ice Cream Social! Take in the 4th of July Pie Contest and Ice Cream Social in Lexington's Cheapside Park.
- Local Celebrations! Of course, the best party of all is the one that includes your own family, friends and neighbors! Take in your hometown fireworks with friends. Celebrate Elizabethtown's birthday. Celebrate freedom!
- Wear a patriotic tee with a Kentucky twist! I've already planned my outfit with a little help from My Kentucky Tee.
What are y'all doing for the 4th?