Thanks to Red Gold Tomatoes for partnering with HerKentucky on this post! Check out my segment on WHAS-11 for a how-to!
Many people think risotto is hard to make, when in reality it takes only about 30-40 minutes to make, start to finish. Chicken stock, tomatoes, basil, garlic and shredded Parmesan help make this risotto recipe both simple and super fresh!
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Red Gold® Diced Tomatoes Basil, Garlic & Oregano, or 1 (28 ounce) can Red Gold® Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic & Oregano, drained
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
• Place a 4-quart saucepan on medium heat. Add the oil and when hot add the onion and garlic. Simmer slowly until the onions are clear. Add the Arborio rice and cook in oil for 1 minute. Add half of the tomatoes and 1/4 cup chicken stock; cook gently.
• Simmer adding 1/4 cup additions of stock as the rice absorbs each addition. Repeat adding stock until rice is tender. Stir in Parmesan cheese, basil and remaining tomatoes. Season with salt and black pepper.