|Please forgive the horrid iPhone photo.|
Having people over for the Big Game today?
This shrimp and grits casserole is amazingly creamy and hearty and only takes about 30 minutes to prep and cook. The shrimp comes out so tender! It's also a great way to showcase Kentucky Proud ingredients like Weisenberger Mill grits, Kenny's Farmhouse Cheese, and your favorite Western Kentucky country ham.
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 cup Parmesan or other hard white cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp, coarsely chopped
- 4 oz country ham, diced
- 2 tablespoons dried minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper (or less, to taste)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine milk and broth in saucepan; bring to a boil. Add grits and about 1/4 teaspoon salt to pan. Stir constantly, cooking about 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese, butter, and cream cheese. Stir in remaining ingredients; salt and pepper to taste. (I like this quite spicy, but you may want to cut down the cayenne and garlic.) Pour into greased 11x7" baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes or until set.
There you go. Game Day ready. The Cats or Cards serving pieces are your call.
(Serving pieces via Louisville Stoneware.)