Until recently, I have not been a fan of watermelon. I give it the ole college try every
summer and have never known what all the fuss was about, until now. Y’all, I have entered into a love affair with watermelon and I do not care who knows it! I think it is great on its own, but I am always looking to accentuate the ordinary. Why have plain old watermelon when you can have watermelon with a Bourbon Basil Lemon simple syrup?
Watermelon with Bourbon Basil Lemon Simple Syrup
- ¼ cup of sugar
- ¼ cup of your favorite bourbon
- ¼ tablespoon of lemon peel
- Juice of ½ of a lemon
- ¼ tablespoon basil
- Pinch of salt
- ½ of a watermelon; cut or balled
1. Combine sugar, bourbon, lemon peel, and lemon juice and simmer until reduced by half. Stir occasionally.
2. Add basil and salt and stir until combined.
3. Once the simple syrup has cooled, pour over watermelon, toss and enjoy
The bourbon basil lemon simple syrup should be watermelon's new best friend. It is sweet, but it does not overpower the natural flavors of the watermelon. The lemon and basil add a brightness to the entire dish and they compliment the freshness of the watermelon nicely. I just love how this simple syrup makes an ordinary dish elegant enough for entertaining!