Swoonworthy Valentine's Day styles from Draper James.Read more
A girl can dream, can't she?Read more
St. Valentine's Day, named for a martyred 3rd Century Roman who may or may not have actually existed, is celebrated every year on February 14th as an expression of romantic love. The symbols of hearts and flowers and candies are everywhere. And, as we all know, it can actually also be a little stupid.
But, you know, it doesn't have to be. There are fun activities this weekend in every corner of the Commonwealth that let you celebrate with your sweetie in unique ways!
- B.You Fitness offers a chance to show the guy in your life exactly what you do in barre class. Enjoy Barre with your Beau 6:15 tomorrow night at the Chenoweth Square location. Try Silque Cardio with your Sweetie 6:00 tomorrow night at B.You's Springhurst studio.
- Louisville has the best pizza. THE BEST. I suggest the 2 topping heart-shaped 14" pizza for $15 at Wick's. Sunday only. Or the $30 dinner for two at Impellizzeri's, including salad, a 12" heart-shaped pizza, and an amazing-sounding molten brownie.
- How about an '80s dance party that supports equality? Modern Love: A Valentine's Day Dance Party is Sunday night at Louis's "The Ton." If you're planning a wedding, Fair Event Vendors Alliance™ (FEVA) representatives will be there. FEVA aims to connect the LGBTQ community with Louisville and Southern Indiana area wedding and event professionals, who welcome them as clients and believe in their equality and fair treatment. The event will feature some rare specialty beers from Flat12 Bierwerks, Goodwood Brewing, and West Sixth Brewing, and pints of the featured beers come with an 80s fandom Valentine’s Day card and a chance to win swag and prizes.
- The Four Roses Flower Hour at Nanz & Kraft Florist combines hearts and flowers in the best possible way. This special Valentine's Day shopping and bourbon tasting event benefits the American Heart Association. Tomorrow night, 5:30-8 p.m. $10 cash only at the door.
- Corner Bar is one of my favorites. They're offering special cocktails, small plates and chocolate + champs pairings now through Valentine's Day and enforcing a screen-free environment.
- Flower + Furbish is hosting a Valentines pop-up shop at the Coke Plant Saturday and Sunday. These gorgeous, unique arrangements are far from your traditional dozen roses!
- If kickass-Kentucky-girl-with-guitar music is your thing, check out local musician Jessica Lee Wilkes in concert at Maiden Alley Cinema Friday night.
- Let's go ahead and acknowledge that UK basketball is your first love. Order takeout and watch UK @ South Carolina on ESPN Saturday at noon.
- So, Romeo & Juliet set to ballet probably is the most conventionally romantic thing on this list. It still sounds pretty fun. Saturday and Sunday at the Lexington Opera House.
- If Kentucky is your BAE, and seriously, it should be, visit the Market 301 at Manchester Music Hall Friday night from 6-10 at Manchester Music Hall and shop with some of Central Kentucky's best artisans and vendors. The first 100 guests receive a free tote bag!
- The special Saturday menu at The Blue Raven sounds amazing.
- Why not meet your bestie at the barre? Book a Valentine's Day class at Pure Barre Owensboro and get a special gift bag! You'll receive $10 in barre bucks if you bring a friend!
Happy Valentine's Day, y'all!
Great Valentine's Day presents from local Louisville artisans!Read more
Every Thursday, HerKentucky presents a Quilt of the Week. Over the years, my grandmother has made some absolutely stunning quilts for me; I love to photograph them and share their stories with y'all. This week's Quilt is a pink and green hearts and polka dots pattern. Several years ago, I was walking through the grocery store and saw a cute hearts pattern on a magazine cover.
Of course, my tastes run more toward jewel tones, Lilly Pulitzer-ish prints, and deeper pinks and greens than the magazine's example. My granny was able to work with colors she knows that I love, and the result couldn't be more stunning.
I absolutely love the sense of motion that the subtle paisleys and swirls add to the hearts.
Check out more Quilt of the Week posts here:
- Navy + Blue Bear Paw Quilt
- Orange + Green Halloween Quilt
- Pink + White Dresden Plate
- Blue + White Kentucky Wildcats
- Pink + White Double Wedding Ring
- Yellow + Green Grandmother's Flower Garden
- Pink + Green Plaid Butterfly
- Red + White Ohio Star
- Pink + White Kentucky Wildcats Patchwork
- Pink + Green Lilly Pulitzer Patchwork Quilt
Celebrate St. Valentine's Day with some Kentucky Favorites!Read more
Make your sweetheart something delicious and chocolatey this year for Valentine's Day!Read more