Happy Derby Weekend, y'all!
I've shown you most of my quilt collection before, but this may just be the most special one of all!
Several years ago, we were able to find some yardage of this gorgeous Lilly Pulitzer print on eBay. The print is "Low Riders," and it features gorgeous shades of mint, periwinkle, and butter, as well as horses and some rather iconic spires.
The ties between the Lilly Pulitzer brand and the equestrian lifestyle go back to Mrs Pulitzer's own love of horses. The late Mrs Pulitzer often cited these ties to her own childhood memories of traveling to Kentucky from her family's upstate New York home to watch her stepfather's horses run at Churchill Downs. As a young adult, Lilly even served as a horseback courier for the Frontier Nursing Service in southeastern Kentucky!
My Lilly Derby quilt is such a special keepsake, because it combines so many things that I absolutely love -- Lilly Pulitzer, the Kentucky Derby, and the priceless feeling of having a quilt made by my grandmother!
Happy Derby, y'all!
Check out more Quilt of the Week posts here:
- Navy + Blue Bear Paw Quilt
- Orange + Green Halloween Quilt
- Pink + White Dresden Plate
- Blue + White Kentucky Wildcats
- Pink + White Double Wedding Ring
- Yellow + Green Grandmother's Flower Garden
- Pink + Green Plaid Butterfly
- Red + White Ohio Star
- Pink + White Kentucky Wildcats Patchwork
- Pink + Green Lilly Pulitzer Patchwork Quilt
- Pink + Green Hearts + Polka Dots Quilt
- Blue + Brown Kitchen Patchwork Quilt
- Red + Green Christmas Patchwork Quilt
- Poinsettia + Christmas Tree Quilt