In last Sunday's Herald-Leader, Cheryl Truman, with the help of many readers, listed 50 things that define Lexington. We thought it would be fun to make a similar HerKentucky list, with 10 things that define our respective hometowns. Today, we're talking Floyd County, my Eastern Kentucky homeland.
|Coal in my parents' backyard.|
1. Jenny Wiley Theatre: A unique outdoor theater located in Prestonsburg's Jenny Wiley State Park. While the summer stock theater crowd pads their resumes, Eastern Kentuckians enjoy high-quality productions. I've seen more revivals of Annie, Grease, and Steel Magnolias than I can count, along with the signature Jenny Wiley Story.
2. Billy Ray's: Originally a pool room, Billy Ray's has evolved over the years into Prestonsburg's favorite diner. The decor serves as a museum of Floyd County history, commemorating elections, the historical landscape, and the tragic 1950s school bus crash. Billy Ray's hamburgers are THE quintessential Floyd County food.
3. Route 23: The Country MusicHighway. The Road to theNorth. It's also the main highway through Floyd County.
|The New Martin|
5. "The New Martin": A few years ago, the town of Martin was slated to be moved from within the flood plain. And then it wasn't. The old town remains.
6. Jenny Wiley State Park: The Boat Dock, the Golf Course, Dewey Dam -- the park holds so many memories for everybody who's ever lived in Floyd County.
7. Stonecrest Golf Course: It's located on top of a mountain. You can't get any more Floyd County than that.
8. The schools: With eight elementary schools, three middle schools, and four high schools,
Floyd County's public school system is the county's largest employer.
9. Basketball: We love us some basketball in Floyd County. We follow our high school teams. We follow our grade school teams. We obsess about our beloved Kentucky Wildcats every day of the year.
|The School's been closed for 20 years, but Wayland is home of the Wasps.|